1. When is the application deadline?
Applications must be completed online by 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) on September 15, 2014. The reference letters must also be submitted online by the deadline. Five copies of the selected work samples must be sent to the SSRC office in New York by mail and must be received by September 15, 2014. This is NOT a postmark deadline.
2. How can I obtain an application packet?
No paper applications are used in this application process. The application is to be filled out online and can be accessed at https://soap.ssrc.org/. Program staff may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (212) 377-2700 in New York. The Tokyo office may be contacted at ssrcABE@gol.com; fax: 03-5369-6142; or phone: 03-5369-6085.
3. Is there a citizenship requirement?
This fellowship opportunity is available to American and Japanese citizens, as well as to nationals of other countries who can demonstrate serious long-term affiliation with the journalistic communities of the U.S. or Japan.
4. Can I apply for this fellowship if I am not an American citizen or a Japanese citizen?
You are welcome to apply if you can demonstrate that you are part of a US or Japanese journalistic community.
5. Is there an age limit?
6. Can I reapply for the fellowship if I was awarded an Abe Fellowship in a previous year?
No. Previous recipients of the Abe Fellowship for Journalists may not apply for a second award. You may, however, apply for the longer-term, Abe Fellowship.
7. What is the period of support that the fellowship provides?
The fellowship must spend 6 weeks conducting research overseas.
8. Must the fellowship period be continuous?
9. Can I conduct my research during the fellowship period in countries other than Japan and the United States?
10. How can I tell if my topic is within the scope of the program?
See the Abe Fellowship for Journalists Detailed Application Criteria on the Abe Fellowship Program Web site under the headings The Abe Fellowship Research Agenda and Policy Relevance, or contact program staff. Information about the program can be found online at http://www.ssrc.org/fellowships/abe-fellowship-for-journalists/.
11. What is the dollar amount of the award?
The stipend is $23,500, which includes one round-trip ticket, funds to prepare for overseas fieldwork, and support for interpretation.
12. Does the award include supplemental support for family members?
Although fellows may be accompanied by family members, the program is unable to provide supplementary support.
13. When may I activate the fellowship?
Abe Fellows must activate the fellowship between April 1 and December 31, 2015.
14. What are the selection procedures?
Abe Fellows are selected by the members of an Abe Fellowship Program sub-committee, which uses established peer review procedures.
15. How many awards are offered in a given year?
Approximately 4 awards are made in a given year.
16. May Abe Journalist Fellows accept other support while holding the Abe Fellowship for Journalists?
Concurrent funding associated with a named grant or fellowship, such as the Fulbright, is strictly prohibited. Abe Journalist Fellows may, however, receive salary support from their employers, but cannot carry out assignments while on the award.
17. Does the fellowship provide income replacement?
No, the Abe Fellowship for Journalists does not provide income replacement.
18. Must I be formally affiliated with institutions at my research sites overseas?
No, although affiliation with a local press club is recommended.
19. Does SSRC sponsor Abe Fellows for visas?
20. How many references do I need and whom should I ask to write it for me?
Two. One reference must be from your editor. The remaining reference may come from someone who is familiar with your work or from someone who knows you very well and can speak to your capability to carry out the research project. Follow the instructions on the Reference section of the online application to send an electronic request to the person who will submit your reference. The referee must submit the reference using the online system by 5:00 p.m. on September 15, 2014.
21. When are applicants notified of decisions?
Decisions are announced by the end of November.
22. May I submit my application by fax or email?
No. Applications sent by fax or email will not be accepted. Applicants must supply the necessary information by using the online application system at https://soap.ssrc.org. Reference letters must also be submitted online by the September 15 deadline. In addition, five copies of three samples of professional work must be mailed separately to the SSRC office in New York. These copies must be received by September 15, 2014. This is NOT a postmark deadline.
23. How can I find out whether the program has received my application?
We will acknowledge receipt of your application via e-mail by September 30. If you do not hear from us by then, please contact program staff at email@example.com or (212) 377-2700 immediately.