African Peacebuilding Network Internship
The Social Science Research Council seeks an intern for its African Peacebuilding Network. This internship is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable research, communications, and administrative experience. The internship will begin mid-November and last approximately three months and will require about twenty hours per week in the Brooklyn Heights office.
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications.
The African Peacebuilding Network (APN) supports independent African research on conflict-affected countries and neighboring regions of the continent and the integration of African knowledge into global policy communities. For more information about the APN, please visit our website.
The APN seeks an intern to contribute to the organization of its program activities—which include research, networking, and communication with researchers, practitioners, and policymakers largely based in Africa—while gaining valuable research, communications, and administrative experience. This internship will require the ability to work at the SSRC Brooklyn Heights office for twenty hours per week over approximately three months. This is an unpaid internship, with a monthly stipend for travel and expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences or humanities or current enrollment in a degree program; an interest in international relations, peace studies, or other related fields is ideal.
- Experience with communications and publicity efforts, including through social networking services.
- Proficiency with web publishing platforms and Internet resources; familiarity with HTML a plus.
- Interest in and knowledge of Africa and/or peace, security, and post-conflict development issues.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivation, adaptability, and ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficiency in MS Office; familiarity with database and web management software is desirable.
- Work closely with program staff on communications strategy and publicity efforts.
- Manage social networking and e-mail campaigns to promote noteworthy project developments.
- Help to expand and organize our network of contacts in academia, the media, and the public at large.
- Contribute to research, copyediting, and editing according to standards of the Chicago Manual, APA, MLA, etc.
- Assist in proposal and report writing and editing.
- Assist in the planning of workshops, meetings, and outreach activities.
- Contribute to the day-to-day administration of the program.
- Other duties and additional responsibilities and projects as directed, depending upon interest and capacity.
Terms, Salary and Benefits
Please send PDF of cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “APN Intern” in the subject line of the e-mail.
The Social Science Research Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.