The Dissertation Writing Retreat brings together 12 to 15 advanced graduate student fellows for five days of independent work on the dissertation project. It makes a support network available to each fellow and creates a structure for accountability to colleagues that directly reflects best practices learned from fellows who successfully completed the dissertation in varying circumstances.
- Open to fellows in the sixth year of graduate school and beyond who are within 12 months of completing their dissertations
- Not open to fellows that have already participated in the Preparing for the Professoriate seminar
- Consists of five days of intensive writing
- Largely self-directed, but facilitated by a Mellon Ph.D.
- Focuses on honing time management skills, developing a calendar for writing, and creating a structure for accountability
- Does not include discipline-based feedback or peer review
- Participants create an individual 12-month work plan and communicate regularly with each other after the Retreat
The 2020 Dissertation Writing Retreat was held virtually from May 26 to May 29.
Watch the video below to find out more about the Dissertation Writing Retreat!