Applications for the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, which provides support for dissertation and postdoctoral research in Japan in the humanities and social sciences, are due December 1
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship Program provides recent PhD recipients and ABDs (please see program eligibility requirements) with opportunities to conduct research in Japan under the leadership of a host researcher. Fellows are encouraged to advance their own research and at the same time closely collaborate with young Japanese researchers and contribute to Japanese research communities.
Deadline: January 15, 2019. Apply Now.
Fellows are selected by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) based on nominations made by the SSRC Japan Advisory Board. The SSRC Japan Advisory Board recommends to JSPS up to 20 candidates annually from the social sciences and humanities. Award offers are made by JSPS in early summer for fellowships that must commence between June 1 and November 30 (long-term) or June 1 and March 31 (short-term).
Applications are welcome from all social science and humanities disciplines and need not be explicitly related to the study of Japan. Projects must include work with colleagues and resources in Japan and propose a single, continuous stay in Japan from 1 to 12 months (short-term) or 12 to 24 months (long-term).
- Scholars who have previously received funding from JSPS for 12 months or longer are not eligible to apply for JSPS fellowships.
- JSPS does not extend fellowships to scholars employed in the institutions under the jurisdiction of the US Department of Defense.
- In addition:
- Candidates for the Long-Term Fellowship must possess US citizenship or permanent residency status. Permanent residents must provide a copy of a permanent resident card ("green card"). Researchers of Japanese nationality are not eligible.
- Candidates for the Short-Term Fellowship must possess US citizenship or permanent residency status.
The application for an SSRC nomination to the JSPS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship requires an application form, a project description, a CV, a list of publications, a letter of recommendation, and a letter of invitation from a host institution in Japan. In addition:
- Applicants for 12–24 month (long-term) fellowships must have received a diploma from a university outside Japan dated no more than six years prior to April 1, 2018, or a letter from their institution stating the date the applicant will officially receive the degree.
- Applicants for 1–12 month (short-term) fellowships must submit a copy of a PhD diploma from a university outside Japan dated no more than six years prior to April 1, 2018, or a letter from their institution stating that the applicant is a PhD candidate and will received the PhD within two years of beginning the fellowship.
For More Information
Detailed application instructions, eligibility restrictions, and terms of awards are attached to the application forms.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (212) 377-2700.