China Environment and Health Initiative
Generating new research on the connection between health, environment, and development in China
Key components of the program include:
- A Collaborative Grants Program to support innovative, policy oriented research on environment and health in China.
- An annual Summer Institute to strengthen capacity for cross-disciplinary research on environment and health in China.
An Annual Conference to promote communication and collaboration across the natural, medical and social sciences on environment and health issues
- Publications and Web-based Resources to bring the findings of research to audiences of policy makers, media and NGOs.
New initiatives include:
- collaborations with local government to address environmental impacts on health at the county level
- a mapping of China’s food system in collaboration with the Food Climate Research Network
- a new program on faculty and curriculum development on environment health and development for Chinese higher education institutions
An overview of environment-related health risks in China and related social science literature by Program Director Jennifer Holdaway is available here. For more information, see the 2010 Journal of Contemporary China special issue and the FORHEAD website.
For a list of Collaborative Grants sponsored from 2008 through 2013, please visit Collaborative Grants, 2008-2013. For a map of the Project Sites of SSRC Collaborative Grants 2008-2012, please see FORHEAD's Collaborative Grants Map.
The China Environment and Health Initiative is supported by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Ford Foundation, United Board and Oxford University.
- Program Director
- Jennifer Holdaway